Motivation can simply be defined as willingness and a desire of someone to do something. Usually when we do something, there is always a reason behind it. But sometimes, even if we have all the reason to act, we lose our interest and hope, especially when we see that it does not fall according to our plans. One reason is because we do not feel motivated to continue when we struggle in life. Motivation is not a trick or magic that just suddenly appears when we need it. Motivation should always be present in everything we do, because this is one of the key and driving forces to succeed in life. We lose our ability to achieve our goals when we lose our motivation.
So, how we can stay motivated to keep us going? Here are some of the attributes that I thought are worthy to share that would help us to push through and break all the habits that hold us back.
- Avoid distractions – Learning to avoid distractions will help you utilise your time efficiently. Let me use social media as an example. When we spent too much time checking say you’re Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, your mind gets easily pre-occupied. And when we see other people’s posts that they are just enjoying their life, we tend to compare ourselves that can lead to anxiety and depressions. Over exposure to social media can affect our mood and can drive us to lose focus on our own goals.
- Surround yourself with good and positive people – Being surrounded by negative and toxic people can affect how you think and act on a certain situation. Definitely, the impact would be negative because what you hear from them is what you absorb. To stay motivated, make sure to be with friends, colleagues or acquaintances that are happy and positive. These people will inspire, encourage and support you to stay motivated. Because good people are inclined to become productive people.
- Know your strengths and weaknesses – It is important that you know your own strengths and weaknesses as this gives you a better understanding of yourself and how you function. Understanding your personal strengths gives you the ability to identify the attributes that you may have. You can use these attributes and leverage them at your advantage. While it is also important that you identify your own weaknesses as well. Your weaknesses are the areas that you have the power to improve and are the ones holding you back in achieving your goals. When we identify our strengths and weaknesses, we do self- assessment. Self-assessment creates a positive attitude towards yourself which helps to stay motivated in setting and working up on your goal.
- Stop being hard on yourself – Judging yourself can cause depression and disappointments. We all fall short sometimes as we humans are prone in committing mistakes. Acknowledging your mistakes and learn from it. Do not dwell on your failures. Life is not always about how hard you get hit, but it’s how well you can handle the hard hit and learn from it. Life is like a catwalk, when you fall, rise up and walk with pride and confidence.
- Avoid procrastination – Everyone is guilty of procrastinating at some point and no one is exempted from it. However, some are smart enough that they notice it in time and take the necessary actions. While others are too blind to see that it already destroys their dreams and lives. Procrastination can lose your precious time, blow opportunities, lower your self-esteem and ruin your career. When you procrastinate, you lose your motivation but to overcome procrastination, you need motivation. The absence of motivation is catastrophic and you will fall in a state where procrastination becomes your habit.
- Give yourself a good treat when you accomplished your goal – We all deserve little rewards to celebrate our achievements be it big or small to keep us motivated. You can take yourself out to a nice breakfast or lunch, plan a trip or give back, if that is what makes you feel happy and satisfied
- Use your lifeline – Your lifeline can be your friend, colleague or a team. Talk to them when you feel that you are down or facing challenges. Together, you can come up with options or solutions that will help to overcome your struggles. The “two heads are better than one” principle applies here. By having someone or a group as your support system, it will make you feel more inspired, confident and motivated in achieving your goals.
Remember, when you always find great ways to keep yourself motivated, you will find yourself meeting your goals easier and a lot more quickly. Find the methods that work best for you if you want to get motivated and stay motivated. Start your day great, think of positive thoughts when you wake up to produce outstanding result throughout the day.